Rotary Bowelscan is the initiative of over 300 Rotary Clubs across Australia, working to reduce the number of lives lost to bowel cancer.
Bowelscan kits are affordable, easy to use and include pathology testing by accredited pathologists. All proceeds from the kits are put back into the programme to allow it to continue to provide this valuable community service.
Rotary-branded kits (supplied by Clinical Genomics) will be available from pharmacies throughout Tasmania for $15 during May 2017.
Pharmacies listed below are assisting, click on the arrow below to go to page 2.Rotary Pharmacies draft 2017
The programme runs during one month every year to raise the awareness of the risks of bowel cancer and to encourage Australians most at risk (those aged over 40) to take the annual test.
With the support of hundreds of pharmacies throughout Australia, the programme distributes Bowelscan testing kits to local communities, giving people the opportunity to test themselves early and regularly enough to have a fighting chance at survival.
These Clubs issued approximately 150,000 kits during their annual Colorectal Screening programs each year Since Bowelscan commenced, it is estimated that more than 1,000 people with bowel cancer and 5,000 with polyps have been detected.
Cancer of the bowel is the most common internal cancer to affect men and women in western society. Over 9,000 Australians will be diagnosed as having bowel cancer this year and over 4,500 will die of the disease.
BOWEL CANCER IN TASMANIA
- In Tasmania, the Age Standardised Rate for death from colorectal cancer was 22.7 per 100,000. [latest available statistics, 2011]
- In comparison, the death rate for the Australian population was 15.9 per 100,000.
- In Tasmania, the rate for the number of new cases diagnosed (incidence) was 76 per 100,000.
- In comparison, the rate for the Australian incidence was 61.5 per 100,000.
- National Health & Medical Research Council recommends testing every 2 years.
- Testing is recommended to start from age 40.
- TESTING CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!
Buy a Rotary Bowelscan kit for only $15 in May
[From participating pharmacies and Clubs]
- Easy to use – no dietary restrictions, no handling of faecal matter.
- Latest immunochemical technology.
- Two samples only, containers included.
- Simply mail kit back to laboratory in post-paid envelope provided.
- Results sent directly to you.
- If a sample is positive, a copy of the results is sent to your GP.
Information for Clubs
A presentation suitable for Tasmanian Rotary Club use.
Download a PowerPoint slide show of this document
Any queries call Tasmanian co-ordinator John McDonald 0419 323 181 or email: email@example.com;
Updated April 2017